Archeology Reflection

This project has been a doozy. When we started out with this project we had no idea what kind of device we were interested in, what we were going to get out of breaking it apart, and the purpose of this project as a whole. So one of the members of my team found an old digital RCA alarm clock that was created around 2006. When we started taking it apart we had no idea how much was going to come out of this clock. We found out soon enough that there were plenty parts in the device but the challenge would be cataloging the parts online. I started out originally working on the plastic outside of the clock itself but I soon realized that there was no way for me to research the location of the manufacturer. All I found off the pieces is a small calendar that was etched into both the front and the back part which showed when they reviewed the part before it was shipped off. I then thought well maybe I can work with the speaker. I started to research it and it was so much harder than I thought finding the brand of this speaker let alone the specific speaker itself. At first I found an old website that had speakers of that brand that is on the speaker but I dug deeper and found an updated website. The company specializes in speakers specifically that brand and it seems that they work in a complex. Then I started to work on a capacitor since the plastic was a fail on finding any more information. I went on to find that the brand orient is really an impossible little thing to find on the internet. They would sell 1000 packs of these capacitors but all that they had for the information was that it was made in Taiwan. It took a lot of research but I found the company and I have to say it was pretty satisfying. Overall this project was something I never expected to do in college but what I took from it was that if you really dig deep enough there will be something you can find about an object that might be a little outdated. There were ups and downs but we got it done!

0 comments